What to Keep in Mind When Working with the Death Care Industry
Sales Drive the Industry –
- Presales are driving force in the industry as a whole.The higher commission goes to preneed sales as opposed to a sale at the time of someone’s death.Always keep this in mind when shopping around. This knowledge might help frame what is happening and how knowledge is filtered to you, the customer.Ask any question. Get answers that make sense to you.
- Always ask to see a price list. In working with cemeteries you might have to insist. Cemeteries do not fall under the federal Funeral Law, but some states do provide laws to support people seeking information from cemeteries. It never hurts to ask.
- I suggest shopping around. Prices vary quite a bit from place to place. Make sure you are getting what you and your family wants. Keep looking. Make sure you feel comfortable working with whom you choose.
Embalming in Not Required By Law –
- There are very few rare cases where embalming is required. Chances are we are not going to be dying from very rare diseases. The problem with having a natural body in death with a funeral director is that many do not allow for a visitation with a natural body. In states that require citizens to hire a funeral director, and you wish to have a natural body funeral; you might have to shop around.
Your Knowledge, Your Vision –
- Only you and your family knows what is right and fits your understanding of how you wish to memorialize your family member. Have an idea beforehand. Have the talk with your family so that when the family starts to work with the death care industry, they won’t be sidetracked by so many options. Hold true to your knowledge of your rights and your vision for the remembrance of someone you love.